Friday, May 1, 2009

catching up from where we left off.....

If you look really really closely, you can just see it over the horizon. World Series 09' is coming up in less than a month and I am amped. I think it's human nature to look at the past more fondly in remembrance than your actually feelings in the moment. Nothing is more true than that statement and poker. I can remember how totally decimating poker was at the end of last year's wsop, and how much I was looking forward to cash games and now it can't come quick enough.
April saw the most volume I've ever played online 150,000 hands of nlhe and plo on partypoker exclusively. Party is a graveyard nowadays and the majority of those hands were me vs. regulars, day in and day out. I really feel like some of the toughest games online can be found there. I read over some of my older posts that explained my desire to beat the levels in order before moving up and this year I've been fortunate enough to do so. I sort of skipped the $3-6 level and play most of my time at 5-10 now. It's not a bankroll thing, it's more a function of my desire to be accomplished and not expose myself to undue variance that may result in poor play when moving up.
To give you an idea, I play way too many tables at once, sometimes 15/16 at a time and it does result in robotic play and does decrease my win rate. I do think that I multi table well though and I am a favourite to beat the games I'm playing. At the end of may this will be the end of it though, I decided that I will play higher and fewer tables at once from now on. I can play less hopefully and improve my play. Anyways, as far as keeping score goes, since last wsop ended I surpassed my expectations as far as my online earn goes and considering the lineup I sometimes forced myself to play in, I am happy with the result. Hungry to do better though.
Absolute expectation has been much lower than my results. At the time of this post, since April first alone, I am running a little better than -$30,000 over those 150k hands. I've been told the long run kicks in around the 100-200k hand mark so I'm looking for that heater to begin but so far, it's only a theory :)
Solace can be taken in the fact that over that same stretch I am break even without showdown and roughly $25,000 winner... thoughts inevitably turn to what would running hot over the same period look like? Anyways, I plan on writing about the world series experience again this summer and thought it appropriate to pop in before it all starts. Talk to you soon,

No comments: