Monday, June 9, 2008

Event 16: Omaha Hi-Lo 8/better Split.

Today's 1k (5ok Horse) satellite didn't go well. I came in ~22/80. I accumulated enough chips to be 5/45 at one point but lost a few limit hold 'em hands vs. short stacks, got 3/4 scooped in an Omaha8 hand and that was all she wrote. Would've been nice to get that 52k package (um, obviously). The good news was that I was knocked out early enough to make the 5:00pm 2k buy in event at the World Series; Omaha 8/better.

Here's the thing. I can say it over and over again but you've got to run like god in these things. I made it to day 2 but I have almost 0 chips and we're still no where near the money. I think there's something like 178/583 left, money starts at 60 probably and I have about 1 big bet left. The good news is I have 8 hands to ship it in there as I'm on the button to start day 2. I'm not trying to play like a nit, or short stack my way into the money, I'm just sickly card dead and realize that unless I just want to spew away 2k, I want to look for a good spot to shove it in. I was up above average after level 5 with about 9k but it's been a steady decline since then. No real bad beats just level after level of napkins. I'll tell you this though. It's disgusting watching some of these pros accumulate chips. I don't want to disrespect anyone but it's silly the hands some of these guys throw over but they HIT !!!, they hit and they accumulate and they get praise for taking the grossest long shots into a showdown.
example 1:
Q866 (pro) vs. A2Kx (chump amateur)
flop: KT4 (check by chump, bet by pro, check raise by chump, pro just calls)
turn: 6 (2 outter, sure....... bet by chump, raise by pro, raise by chump, 4bet by pro, call)
river J (bet, raise, call)... pro's set wins.
JJT3 (pro) vs. A2xx (another chump)
flop 22Q (check by pro, bet by chump, call by pro)
turn, 8, river 9.... sure, straight wins the pot.

I mean... I worked my ass off to be patient and play good but there's no way I've had a +ev spot to gamble. I know how long a shot these hands are to hit so I want to find a good spot. You know the flip side to this argument is you should be in there firing your ass off with any 4 cards and hoping your opponent A. folds or B. you donk your way into winning hands.

I don't want to lament my luck or talk about how 'hot' everyone else runs but I'm supremely frustrated watching these guys bad beat their way into huge chip leads with the biggest donkey plays ever. Sooooo, game plan tomorrow... find a nice spot in the first 8 hands and shove it in hoping to scoop. I'll have to gamble a lot tomorrow if I want to make the money but the late Jack Strauss won the main event in 1982 with literally 1 chip and I have 1 whole big bet left so I guess it could be worse.

Cross your fingers. lol, i might start playing worse and firing, perhaps that's what I'm doing wrong.

No comments: