Sunday, June 8, 2008

a few updates.

Andrew scoops! There was a 2k buy-in deep stack event at the Bellagio today that Andrew took down 30k for a 6-way final table chop. If they had played it out, it was 65k for first. I think Andrew was a big favourite being 2nd in chips with 6 left as he's mercilessly aggressive and those guys wanted to nit their ways up the ladder. Wes and I played a 20-40 stud game at the Bellagio when all of this was going on. I dumped $100 in what may have been the easiest stud game I've ever seen. It was disgraceful to lose in that game, a monkey could have beat it. Kick up the limits and lock the doors, lol.
The night before Andrew and I chop a ~$1600 win in 5-10PLO at the Rio. It was again, a great game. I had a massive $3k hold up with AAKdTd in a 3 way all-in. The offer was out to run it once or twice but I decided it would have been hard to win it twice without double suited aces so I opted once as a 50% favourite vs. the two hands. I think running it twice is a fine idea once two hands have seen a flop and got it all in there but I feel I lose a lot of equity if I allow two hands to run the turn and river twice against me. I know it decreases variance but I gain a lot of value preflop and allow myself to loose it when we do the multiway turn and river re-runs when all in. If it were heads up I would have felt differently. I'll have to look into it.
A really interesting hand came up before I left. Long story short, I folded a full house. I had 889T double suited on a AA8 board. It was straddled 5 ways preflop, pot was $200. Guy 3rd to act bets pot with $1400 behind. It comes to me with one guy left behind me who looked interested and the bettor had declined running it twice before. Now the math here is simple. I could be drawing stone dead to A8 or, if he has Axxx with three live cards, I'm a 58% favourite at best (if my case 8 was live, if his side cards didn't duplicate mine). Anyways. I folded after a long consideration. I was out of position, I had a guy behind me who looked interested (ended up folding), I had a player who may not run it twice if he saw my hand (thinking incorrectly he was favoured) and if I flatted out of position, I would be invested not knowing where I stood had he bet the river. The most important reason I mucked was that the game was so good. If you look for slightly good situation, 55%'s in PLO, you can find them all day long. These guys played poorly enough I felt my money could easily find it's way in there as a 75% favourite instead of a slight one. I am seeking opinions on this as I really don't know whether or not it's a good argument, a terrible fold or a slight mistake.

Played a lot online yesterday and qualified for a 1k HORSE satellite (for the 50k event here at the wsop). It just started, 88 people, two 52k packages so a nice overlay of 16k). Not sure whether or not I'll just take the money if I can get there. That's a considerable amount for me but I'm sure Andrew will want the money in action. Anyways... life is good. Perhaps play the 2k omaha8/better tournament tonight if this horse satellite gets over with in time. Oh, one little story. I guess Phil Ivey has to play all the tournaments for FullTilt, it's part of his deal or something. My friend Mark played the $1500 limit hold em event and was at his table and Phil was cheering for hands to beat his so he could get out of there. One hand he had KT on a KsTs4s board and him and some other guy got 8 bets in on the turn and river to put Phil all-in. Phil announces 'top-two' and the other guy says 'i have the nut flush', phil responds; 'yeah, you better have the nut flush'.
Moral of the story. If you play an event for the first time and see one of the best players in the world, don't be intimidated. They may be the one who dumps there chips off to you because they'd rather be golfing, shooting craps, playing cash games or just otherwise uninterested. Lucky for them this was the case for mr. Ivey in the $1500 LHE event.

No comments: