Thursday, June 5, 2008

live action!

So today, moved out of the gold coast, watched a fellow Canadian Pat Pezzin make the 5k mixed hold'em event final table, met up with andrew and scooped some live pots playing no limit hold'em at the wynn.

so usually, not too many interesting things crop up at 2-5 nlhe games but today was different.
i started the game in the 1 seat with $500 and in walks some action. Some high stakes pro with his girlfriend sit in the 9 and 10 seat with around $1000 and $15,000 respectively. That's right, this guy sits with $15000 in a 2-5 nlhe game, what's better, I have position on him. So, I make a full house, get up to around $650, then with QT on a 9T499 board, the hero with 15k sets me all in on the river... i mucked my hand (he told me later he had the last 9, whether we believe that is another thing). So, under the gun, when i have $550 in front, he makes it $1000 to go without looking at his cards. I have QQ and call. They hold. Up to $1100. Then, I make a small flush vs. his girlfriend for a $400 pot and that's the session. So thanks to my fortunate holdings and table position on these two spots, I make ~$900 (a good portion of tomorrow's $2500 Omaha8/better and Stud8/better event at 5).

The most interesting part of this table came in two hands I wasn't a part of. He layed the table 6-5 for anyone that wanted to go all in blind with him. He did with one kid for a $2k pot and lost. Then he made it $5k to go utg blind, some kid called off a $800 in the small blind with AToffsuit. So by the river the board read 56788. The kid only had $125 actually 'in' the pot (but was declared all in with his AT faceup - no pair Ace high) and the hero offer's the kid out of the pot for the $125, effectively saving the guy $675... the kid gambled, said no, and lost to 52offsuit.
Anyways, hope this recap made sense as it was a very interesting experience. I spoke with this guy afterwards, apparently he'll be on poker after dark's cash game coming up with Phil Hellmuth, Allen Cunningham, etc. He loses 125k in that game so I imagine losing $4500 in the 2-4nlhe game didn't really dent this fellow.

Okay, cross your fingers, up to bat with Omaha8/Stud8 tomorrow.

No comments: