Sunday, June 21, 2009

$1500 (event 39) No Limit Hold'em

Well, no good today. I played 7 hours of this hold'em event, grinded $4500 into around $17,000 at it's high point, then, with an extremely aggressive table image (surrounded by older nits who didn't really like the cut of my jibb) ran QQ into KK and effectively busted. I was loaded with cards today, felt I made the most out of the situations I put myself in but had to release a whole lot of hands because of so many 3bets. It's an increasingly frequent occurrence in these events, 3betting my light opens. Right when I tell myself, okay, this time I'm 4betting my AQ or 77 or whatever marginal hand I've found at the time, they'll show me AK or JJ or something and it'll re-assure the image they've convinced me of. Anyways. I don't think there is too many interesting things to talk about, the bust out hand is pretty standard. Older semi-tightish opens to 2.5x utg+1, the button who's a weird old semi-spewer 3bets the button fast (weak), I cold 4bet QQ from sb, the original raiser shoves just over my open, button turbo folds.....I can't find a Queen. I don't think there are too many other ways to play the hand. I hate flatting there because I'm out of position and I lose all value from AK(s) that would lose a flip vs. me or the JJ that may decide my image warrants a look-up. I don't know, if the standard range of calling off for a stack vs. a cold 4bet by these players is their top 3% (AA,KK,QQ,JJ,AKo/s) than QQ does a little worse that 48% equity in a vacuum. If you expand their calling range to 88+ and the AQs than the QQ's do little better than 60% equity in a vacuum. Bottom line is !!! to get deep/win these huge field tournaments, you can't have the coolers go against you, you need the flips to hold and the coolers go your way. So not today sadly enough. The grind continues tomorrow with the $2500 8-game mixed event (one I'm somehow very amped for).

I've had a somewhat relaxed week. My mom was in town with her husband, celebrating a birthday so I spent a ton of time with them. She had never met my poker crew, Andrew, Wes and Gibb so it was nice to get everyone together. My roommate from home's up too so I guess it's turned into a bit of a hiatus of the wsop but the push is on now until the end. More soon ! off to the 8-game.

No comments: