Thursday, June 11, 2009

Event 22: $1500 No Limit Hold'em Shootout

So, today's event was a shootout. 1000 players played in tables of ten, you need to win your table outright to advance and to make any dough. I had a lovely table draw today, knew no one. Pam Brunson (Doyle's daughter who has recently taken up poker) was the only person I recognized. There were 3 kids who played particularly well, obvious sng players from the net. Thankfully the fish took care of them and I got to 4 handed with Pam, the largest fish on the table and the second largest fish on the table. I caught a few cards, enough to win pots with three bets and isolation plays preflop. I really had great boards to continue with cbets when in the lead preflop so play seemed sort of easy today. Pam knocked out fish number 2, then I won a flip vs. Pam and knocked her out (my 66 vs. her AK). So I got to heads up with the big fish, my 35k or so to his 10k?, something in that range. Anyways, I min-raised every button and eventually overaggressed, shoving 75o into his KQ, i lost, doubled him up. Anyways, I kept chipping him down, back to around the 35k-10k range, then got it in bad, A5dd vs. AKo. I ran out two pair and won my first table. Getting it in bad in heads up play is somewhat standard (although not advisable), more important to have the lead to be able to get past being an underdog. Anyways, made the min-cash so far, $5400 or so. I need to win my day 2 table to get to the final table and up the pay scale. Doesn't matter whether I finish 10th or 2nd on this table tomorrow, need to win it. My boy Theo made day two as well. Best of luck to him.

No comments: