Saturday, June 27, 2009

$1500 No Limit Hold'em (event 53 or so)

First, i'm out in level 4. Second, Wes is still alive and Andrew's got over 50k as of dinner so there is hope for us yet.
That being said I worked the starting stack of $4500 to just under $28,000k ! in 4 hours only to take a string of ridiculousness that knocked me out before dinner.
Again, without sounding redundant, the strength of these fields is embarassingly low and although I welcome it, I curse it when it cuts me up like it did today.
It's also worth pointing out that though 'blogging' about poker is in a why, cathartic, it's also frustrating in that I don't go in depth enough for poker minds and I go too in depth for the friends and family who don't play. So for the later category, I ran bad and I'm out. I played just fine I felt, maybe thought too deeply about hands again but whatever, on the rail, cheering like hell for Andrew and Wes now. Our friend Bahador Ahmed (jeff/baha if you know him by nickname), steam-rolled a final table to win a bracelet yesterday, congratulations to him, couldn't have happened to a better guy.

So today, I steal and aggress without showing a hand down in the first level up to around 12k. Then, this old wierd-playing dude limps utg, this crazy aggressive kid that i've been trying to pound on all day limps behind, another limper, I have the 57 here. Usually this is a raise to 1000 and play a pot in position but two of the three limping stacks were really deep with me (read GOOD ! here) but the last was short and I thought that that combined with running into a hand from another short stack behind said call>fold>isolation in this spot. Pot 1200, flop 752. So with top two I raised this aggressive kid's 500 lead. He thinks for a minute then shoves 3k, i call he has T7, he spikes a T on the turn (12% to lose that hand). So back to like 7500, i get back to around 13k, then play another pot vs. this kid (i three bet him preflop and folded my airball to his flop check/raise bluff). Then, in my big blind, he isolates the old guy who has limped the cut off, I min-3bet him with JJ and he sends 12k more on me with A4dd, i hold, up to 25k. I win another pot and all of a sudden I have 28k playing 150-300 in the 4th level. Then the wheels FLY off. I flat an old tight guy's open middle-late position with KK, the BB calls as well, pot is 3250. Flop is Kd 9d 6d. Now first of all, I fold out everything but JJ,QQ,KK,AA,AK if I 3bet this old tight guy before the flop. By flatting I've disguised my hand and also allowed other monkeys to jam all in behind if they feel we're weak. Anyways, bb checks, original raiser checks, I fire 2000 into 2500, BB check raises to 3200 total, I call, he has Ad Jh, he monkey's off a diamond on the turn and I can't fill up, down to 22k. Then two hands later I open to 750 with KK (I picked up a lot of hands today but lost almost all of them, won all the chips with weird hands in weird spots). The table folds, this fishy kid defends his bb, he has 14k'ish. 6c 6h 4c. He checks, I bet 1250 into like 2000, he calls. I think he's got a lot of pairs in his hand here, 22-88, flush draws, ace high's he's going to turn into bluffs and whatever, two bare overs? (He's been erratic today, limping a lot, bluffing a big, just weird, never actually played with someone with his mix of strange plays). Turn is a Qd. I rap pat behind. I'm doing this for a few reasons, pot control, intending to call almost all river cards (8c is particularly bad thought) and I hope he's going to turn a missed draw/airball into a bluff that would have otherwise c/folded the turn. River is an offsuit 4 (466Q4). He bets 3750 into 4800, i call he shows me 67offsuit. Defending big blinds with any two cards is a tough way to win in this game. Good for him, I'm down to 18k. The second next hand I have 99 utg+1, I open to 750, this kid who's been at the table for 3 laps 3bets me to 2000 with 12k total stack. Everyone else folds. A few hands before I opened the button on his BB, he 3bet, I shoved 33 on him and he folded. I noticed he's weak when he acts fast so I picked up that pot with 33 pretty easy, pretty risk free. Now I've lost two tough hands in a row, it looks like I'm steaming, he's 3bet and utg raiser and done so quickly. I don't think he's got enough here to call me, plus 99 is the bottom of my range but I expect to fold out AQ/maybe TT, smaller pairs, airballs. Anyways, I send my stack in and he snap calls with AQoffsuit and wins the 24k flip. I'm crippled to 3k and get it in before the blinds him me, A7 vs. 77 and I'm out.
First off, 3bet/calling it off with AQ in this spot is damn near brain damaged, his hand plays HORRIBLY vs. my 4bet/shoving range utg (88+AK), he's got 32% equity here and of course he dinks it.
Yeah, I lose flips, yeah I run bad, and yes, he can have TT/JJ/QQ here and I'm the one that has 18% but I really felt, given the dynamic and how fast he acted and his whole demeanor, that 99 played well against him in this spot and I'm very unlucky to have had these 3 big hands all cut down in less than one orbit. I'll try to run a bit hotter in stud8 tomorrow.

No comments: